• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full timer.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:06 AM

Has anyone succesfully re-inforced the Casita rear bumper (the 4x4 type) preparatory to carrying one or two bikes on the back? I'd like to see a photo of a good welding job. I have been asking some local welders and I am getting mixed answers.
Gracias,
Ed

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !

#2 brain

brain
  • Casita Club Member
  • 579 posts
  • Local time: 10:10 AM

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hi Dutchman,

I had my bumper reinforced with some welding for a new spare tire carrier. My welder added a 1/4 inch thick piece long enough to fit snugly into the two L pieces that attach at the bumper. He spot welded the piece to the bumper and most importantly to the L pieces. I touched up the welds with some black spray paint.

bumperweld1.jpg

bumperweld2.jpg

#3 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:34 AM

While I cannot see what was done in the photos, I would think that if a piece of angle iron stock were laid across the rear frame rails and welded to both of them and to the bumper (short beads), then steel strapping were wrapped around the three remaining sides of the bumper (where the carrier would mount) and continuously welded to the angle stock (essentially taking the bumper out of the picture as a structural member) that you wouldn't have a very strong base for such use.

Bob

#4 Out There

Out There
  • Casita Club Member
  • 82 posts
  • Local time: 12:10 PM
  • Interests:Recumbent bicycles

Posted 21 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

Dutchman

I've been trying for some time now to label, resize and upload a few photos, so here goes.
Casita_Basket_Labeled_3.jpg IMG_0770.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0776.JPG

This entire masterpiece tongue.gif was prefabricated and then bolted onto the Casita frame via 1/2" bolts to the two outside channels and the two inside angle irons (four 1/2" bolts) comprising the frame under the trailer. These four pieces (2 channels and 2 angles) are what the bumper is mounted to.
I took a 3" piece of angle the width of the rear frame (length between the two channels on either side of the trailer), I think it was approximately 52 or so inches. Welded four pieces of 1 1/2" pipe (approx. 4" long) between the three inch angle and a piece of two inch angle the same length. I then bolted (four 1/2" bolts) the cargo basket to the 2" piece of angle.

I instructed Casita not to install the spare tire mount when I ordered my trailer. I added a spare tire mount to this fabricated assembly. Since these photos were taken I have also added a 1 1/4" piece of flatbar on both ends of the cargo basket that entend from the rear of the basket (under) to the three inch angle for extra support. I also fabricated a new license plate mount onto the rear of the cargo basket, complete with light (I'm just funny like that). biggrin.gif And I attached a 4" piece of schedule 20 PVC under the basket to carry a sewer hose.

As you may be able to see in some of the photos, I had to slice a piece out of the three inch piece of angle because it was too close to the fiberglass body. This was a tight fit and required numerous re-do's! I would surmise that fewer hours were logged in the construction of the space shuttle! anim_rofl2.gif

I've travelled approximately 1500 miles so far carrying one bicycle and a few other miscellaneous light items in the basket.

Hope this helps a little.

PS: Patent Pending rolleyes.gif
2007 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab
2008 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe

#5 cdsmith

cdsmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

What do you do about obscuring the tag with stuff on the carrier?
Joyce and Charlie Smith, Princess Lily, Rose, and Violet - Grand Prairie, TX
RV: 1999 SD "The Little Egg"
TV: 2007 Escalade 2WD 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
Brake Control: Dexter Predator DX-2

#6 Us burros

Us burros
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,245 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 Spirit 17'
  • Interests:Woodworking, photography, birding & travel
  • Casita Club Directory #:1830

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (cdsmith @ Jun 21 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What do you do about obscuring the tag with stuff on the carrier?

And the tail lights?

#7 Out There

Out There
  • Casita Club Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:59 AM

I remounted the license plate (with light) and added the higher lights (brake, running, turn signal). Not bad for a rookie huh? laugh.gif
Rear_Casita_Labeled___Reduced.jpg

The entire assembly can be removed with four bolts for other alterations or if you decide to travel without it.

#8 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local time: 08:10 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full timer.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:53 AM

Awesome rig, OutThere. Your masterpiece would solve another issue i.e. when I checked in an RV park in Apache Junction AZ a year or so ago, I was asked how long my trailer was. I replied "17 ft". The office manager, nose in the air, said: "Oh, I AM sorry, our minimum length is 19ft." She wouldn't let me in. Would now anim_rofl.gif Would not want to now, with that attitude mad.gif

Thanks for the pix. Not quite having those skills, I'll aim for something a tad easier.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !

#9 Out There

Out There
  • Casita Club Member
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:59 PM

Dutchman

Thanks for the compliment. If I can ever get myself west of the Mississippi I'll try to look you up and show this rig to you. And maybe you can pass on some full-timing advice just in case I get the nerve to go for it.

Really enjoy your posts. Hope all is going well in your neck of the woods, errrrr, desert. rolleyes.gif