• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andewall

andewall
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 10:25 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:11 AM

We are looking to go to Galveston this summer and are looking for a great RV Park. We are interested in some fishing and crabbing. Something with a store would be nice. Not sure what are options are. Have looked online and just got frustrated searching that way. Would like some suggestions from fellow campers. Thanks!

Ande

Glenn & Ande
2003 17' FD
Denton, TX

#2 btrotter1

btrotter1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 69 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 PM
  • Casita Club Directory #:2088

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:53 AM

The only place I have stayed around there is Galvaston State Park. The grounds are kept nice but the showers could be a little cleaner but passable. Lots of room between spaces and if you want to pay a premium lot you can get next to the sand dune about 100 yards from the beach. The last time I was there the rates were $20 for non premium and $25 for premium. There are stores about 3 or 4 miles away. If you go into Galvaston on US45 take a right at SeaWall Blvd and go about 7 or 8 miles. Don't remember what that highway number is. There are signs and a blinking light at the turn to the offices on the left. Go online and check it out. There are 3 sections and I have only stayed in the first one (section A) I think.
Bruce
2000 16 SD
TV 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe
North Texas

#3 Matt

Matt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy reading, mostly biographies and history, but also a good novel, and even crime stories.<br />I've been hiking in Big Bend National Park since 1983, and have visited every US state. <br />Foreign travel includes all Western European countries except Belgium. I've also visited the Balkans and several eastern countries. I've been to Vietnam, China, Central America, and much of the Caribbean. <br />I love my Casita and have been from coast to coast and Mexico to Canada in the short time I've owned her. <br />In the past year I've slowed down after being diagnosed with stage III Follicular B cell lymphoma. I'm not officially in remission but am done with CHOPS and am doing Rituxen which is working to hold the beast back.

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

We stayed Friday night in Galveston at Dellanera RV Park. 10901 San Luis Pass Rd. 409-797-5102.
We were on the beach. It's a typical RV park, crammed together, but our early morning walk on the beach with the dog was practically alone at 7 a.m.
I think we paid $34.00.
Matt
Matt & Virginia Kline

Nueces Bay (Near Taft/Portland, Texas)
2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#4 CaptGeorge

CaptGeorge
  • Casita Club Member
  • 316 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

Only place we ever camped there was at SP - many years ago. We enjoyed it. We got a sprinkle of rain every morning - something to do warm/cold air/land next to the beach.

Here's link:
http://www.tpwd.stat...arks/galveston/

George & Wendy
'97 17' SD "EggsCape"
'02 V8 Tundra PU

#5 Steve Nussenblatt

Steve Nussenblatt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 83 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Escape 19
  • Trailer Name:Our Great Escape
  • Casita Club Directory #:1199

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

Hi Ande,
I live here in Galveston. There are usually good reviews of the state park. The good thing about the SP is that there is direst access to either the beach or the bay. You can fish either. If you have kayaks (they can also be rented locally) the bay side is great. There is a newer park with more amenities just a few miles west of the state park called Jamaica Beach RV park. Don't know much about it but it looks to be nice (a search will find the web site). If you need any futher assiatance send me a PM.

Steve

Our Great Escape

Escape 19
San Antonio, TX

#6 grc

grc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 47 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 PM

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

It'll be hot anywhere along the coast, but you already know that! Galveston State Park has covered picnic tables in each site, but no trees, also it really isn't in Galveston - it is around 10 miles southwest of the city.

If you don't mind being on the other side of the ferry, you might like Crystal Beach - we recently spent a night at Crystal Canal RV Park. It is around 10 miles north of the ferry on the Port Bolivar side. That means it is closer to Galveston than the state park, but, depending on the ferry it will likely take longer to get across to Galveston. That park, in particular, is on the Intercoastal waterway side of the island, but you are only 5 minutes from the beach side.

QUOTE (andewall @ Jun 15 2008, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We are looking to go to Galveston this summer and are looking for a great RV Park. We are interested in some fishing and crabbing. Something with a store would be nice. Not sure what are options are. Have looked online and just got frustrated searching that way. Would like some suggestions from fellow campers. Thanks!

Ande

Glenn & Ande
2003 17' FD
Denton, TX

#7 andewall

andewall
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the replies.