Hand guns

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

Matt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 07:10 PM
  • Interests:I enjoy reading, mostly biographies and history, but also a good novel, and even crime stories.<br />I've been hiking in Big Bend National Park since 1983, and have visited every US state. <br />Foreign travel includes all Western European countries except Belgium. I've also visited the Balkans and several eastern countries. I've been to Vietnam, China, Central America, and much of the Caribbean. <br />I love my Casita and have been from coast to coast and Mexico to Canada in the short time I've owned her. <br />In the past year I've slowed down after being diagnosed with stage III Follicular B cell lymphoma. I'm not officially in remission but am done with CHOPS and am doing Rituxen which is working to hold the beast back.

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

I have a concealed carry handgun permit here in Texas and am aware of the reciprocal states. What I'm wondering about is if I can leave my handgun loaded in my egg in states like California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Ohio....you get the picture; states that don't accept my permit. Do I have the right to keep my gun loaded in my trailer in such states because I'm living in the trailer?
Thirty five years ago when I was a truck driver Massachusetts had a mandatory five year prison sentence if you got caught with a loaded handgun in your vehicle. Does that apply if the gun is in my trailer there?
Please don't preach, just give tell me any advice you might have to keep me out of trouble in states that ignore my right to bear arms.
Thanks,
Matt

Matt & Virginia Kline

Nueces Bay (Near Taft/Portland, Texas)
2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#2 Royce

Royce
  • Casita Club Member
  • 144 posts
  • Local time: 06:10 PM

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (Matt @ May 3 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a concealed carry handgun permit here in Texas and am aware of the reciprocal states. What I'm wondering about is if I can leave my handgun loaded in my egg in states like California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Ohio....you get the picture; states that don't accept my permit. Do I have the right to keep my gun loaded in my trailer in such states because I'm living in the trailer?
Thirty five years ago when I was a truck driver Massachusetts had a mandatory five year prison sentence if you got caught with a loaded handgun in your vehicle. Does that apply if the gun is in my trailer there?
Please don't preach, just give tell me any advice you might have to keep me out of trouble in states that ignore my right to bear arms.
Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

I don't know the answer but you will find the topic has been discussed at length on another like minded forum.

http://www.airforums...ister-3360.html

Oddly the url appears to work sometimes and not at others. ?? To find it I did a search on Airforums under the topic of "Packing a Gun, Mister"

Edited by Royce, 03 May 2008 - 08:20 PM.

Royce
www.spearfishcreek.net
KORKK
'77' Minuet 6 Metre

#3 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Local time: 05:10 PM
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:40 AM

Matt....
I have my CC in Pa.and the states that don't have reciprocity with your states the handgun must be unloaded and in separate containers locked in your trunk..... as long as your passing thru. (Californiaand oregon are not passing thru states and i believe it's not legal at all to go there)I am also in the process of getting my Utah non-resident CC which between the two gives me just about the whole country....Utah's non resident is much cheaper than FLA non resident permit.
Joe

this following site will help you immensely.... just click on different things on the left column.
http://handgunlaw.us/

You can ask this same question here and probably get a better answer:
http://www.thefiring...orums/index.php

please post back here if you get a better answer as i also would like to go into calif.and oregon

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#4 TNHausKat

TNHausKat
  • Casita Club Member
  • 243 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:58 AM

Matt............I think Royce's link to www.airforums.com/forums may be what you're looking for. See "Wallybyam"'s 1/29/03 posting. Locked in a box away from "easy" access seems to the key per ex law enforcement officer Wallybyam.

So far, all of my travels have been in states which recognize my TN carry permit. "....and that's a good thing."

Don/Memphis

#5 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ May 4 2008, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt....
I have my CC in Pa.and the states that don't have reciprocity with your states [b]the handgun must be unloaded and in separate containers locked in your trunk[/b]..... as long as your passing thru. (Californiaand oregon are not passing thru states and i believe it's not legal at all to go there)I am also in the process of getting my Utah non-resident CC which between the two gives me just about the whole country....Utah's non resident is much cheaper than FLA non resident permit.
Joe

this following site will help you immensely.... just click on different things on the left column.
http://handgunlaw.us/

You can ask this same question here and probably get a better answer:
http://www.thefiring...orums/index.php

please post back here if you get a better answer as i also would like to go into calif.and oregon

So having the weapon either in the TV or in the Casita would be unlawful.

I guess that means there would be no place to make one "legal" if driving a pick-up, van, or SUV (since these vehicles do not have a separate lockable compartment not accessible to the driver), so one could not enter THOSE states either? I wonder if a weatherproof, lockable "box" could be afixed outside or under those categories of vehilces that would stand-in for a "trunk?"

Bob

Edited by Bobinyelm, 04 May 2008 - 08:04 AM.

#6 Matt

Matt
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy reading, mostly biographies and history, but also a good novel, and even crime stories.<br />I've been hiking in Big Bend National Park since 1983, and have visited every US state. <br />Foreign travel includes all Western European countries except Belgium. I've also visited the Balkans and several eastern countries. I've been to Vietnam, China, Central America, and much of the Caribbean. <br />I love my Casita and have been from coast to coast and Mexico to Canada in the short time I've owned her. <br />In the past year I've slowed down after being diagnosed with stage III Follicular B cell lymphoma. I'm not officially in remission but am done with CHOPS and am doing Rituxen which is working to hold the beast back.

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (Royce @ May 3 2008, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Matt @ May 3 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks,
Matt

Matt,

I don't know the answer but you will find the topic has been discussed at length on another like minded forum.

http://www.airforums...ister-3360.html

Oddly the url appears to work sometimes and not at others. ?? To find it I did a search on Airforums under the topic of "Packing a Gun, Mister"

Matt & Virginia Kline

2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#7 Matt

Matt
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the help guys:
That airstream site does in fact have a very good thread on this subject and some good points on both the pro and anti gun positions. I didn't read everything because there are pages and pages, but if I had time I would cuz it's very interesting.

The packing site is no longer online though.

Thanks again,
Matt

Matt & Virginia Kline

2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#8 Joe Z

Joe Z
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,998 posts
  • Interests:Member Since
    Jan 21 2005
  • Trailer Name:AZ Snowball

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

QUOTE (Bobinyelm @ May 4 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (wrkn2mch @ May 4 2008, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So having the weapon either in the TV or in the Casita would be unlawful.

I guess that means there would be no place to make one "legal" if driving a pick-up, van, or SUV (since these vehicles do not have a separate lockable compartment not accessible to the driver), so one could not enter THOSE states either? I wonder if a weatherproof, lockable "box" could be afixed outside or under those categories of vehilces that would stand-in for a "trunk?"

Bob

Bob.... The way i remember reading it for pickup trucks was to put it out of your reach as far as possible unloaded with bulletts in a separate place...SUV's they say to put it in the rearmost section of the SUV.... I have a four door pickup so i would just open the toolbox under the right rear seat to be legal.... I'm not 100% sure but i believe leaving it in the casita unloaded when passing thru states that do not honor should be fine.

I actually bought the 2 medium boxes that come with cables for under the seat for when i go into someplace that i don't want to carry and it also looks good to the police if your car gets broken into.....this is also airline approved for transit.....($29 each)
http://www.center-of-mass.com/

Hope this helps Bob.... smile.gif
Joe

Joe & Linda
Dodge Ram 4x4

#9 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 998 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:19 PM

Matt,

I, too, am licensed to carry a concealed weapon. I don't honestly know the answer to your question. But I guarantee you the people who issued the license to you would. I'd be more inclined to contact them than to ask the question on a public forum...............where, admittedly, personal opinions are often offered as fact.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#10 Matt

Matt
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ May 4 2008, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt,

I, too, am licensed to carry a concealed weapon. I don't honestly know the answer to your question. But I guarantee you the people who issued the license to you would. I'd be more inclined to contact them than to ask the question on a public forum...............where, admittedly, personal opinions are often offered as fact.

Matt & Virginia Kline

2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#11 Matt

Matt
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Chris C @ May 4 2008, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Matt,

Matt & Virginia Kline

2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#12 Dann and Karan

Dann and Karan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 235 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe- 16'

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

Matt,
I have a copy of Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States.
It is a 2007 copy but you can order one from
Bloomfield Press
4848 E. Cactus #505-440
Scottsdale, Az 85254
Phone- 602-996-4020 offices
Fax- 602-494-0679
Order hotline- 800-707-4020
There email address is: gunlaws.com
It said Vehicle carry and transportation: Hand guns must be unloaded and
secured in the trunk or vehicle storage compartment or locked in a gun
case; rifles and shotguns must be unloaded and should be secured in cases.

I hope this helps you.

Dann

#13 AZCharlie

AZCharlie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 142 posts
  • Casita Club Directory #:2295

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:33 AM

Others appear to have addressed the issue of whether you can carry a firearm. I know you discouraged "preaching," so I'm trying not to go there. Still, it seems to me your issue is only half-answered.

I've been in various roles in the criminal justice system for 30 years. Last year, I saw a man who simply displayed a handgun in a confrontation receive a five-year prison sentence. His mistook some men of a minority race for burglars when they were in fact business owners. He called the police who then arrested him. Believing he was right, he rejected a guilty plea and probation. Prison is mandatory upon conviction in Arizona.

My point is that there are very few situations where the use of deadly force is permitted or tolerated in any state. Regardless of a state's attitudes toward "the right to bear arms", no state is forgiving when deadly force is threatened or used (the laws equate both) inappropriately. So whether or not you can legally carry the forearm begs the ultimate question. It's a false sense of security if you risk prison for even showing it to an intruder. Please understand, I'm taking no position about whether you should or should not travel with a gun, nor am I stating my own preference.

I do strongly recommend that campers be equipped with nonlethal force. In my training, I have felt the effects of pepper spray, batons and Taser, and I consider any of them a great deterrent to threats. Nothing is guaranteed to stop all aggressors, and it's always good to have force options as well as a sense of when to use them. Few states regulate nonlethal otions.

Please take this as a response to your request to keep you out of trouble in any state.
Charlie & Mary
Chandler, AZ
1994 Spirit Deluxe 16'
"The Desert Igloo"
1995 Ford Ranger 4.0L

#14 Matt

Matt
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 129 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

Charlie:
Thanks, and no, I don't feel preached at.
Guns are as touchy a subject as politics and race so I think your reply was about as tactful as possible.
I would never pull a gun on anyone unless I planned to kill them and I would never kill anyone unless I felt my life was threatened; period. Texas recently passed some new laws that make it legal to kill to protect property, AT NIGHT. In your house you can use deadly force anytime.
This means if some kid is burglarizing my truck in my driveway at night I can go out there and kill him. Would I? Hell no! I confronted a guy who was trying to tow my brand new 1986 Chevy pickup from my driveway. It still had the paper license on it. I went out with my shotgun, he ran to the truck and was reaching under the seat when I put the shotgun to his head. I told him if his hand came out from under that seat with a gun I would shoot him. His hand came out empty and I took his wallet and keys. When the cops came they yelled at me.....until they found a pistol under his seat where he was reaching, and a sawed off shotgun behind his seat, and a glove box full of dope.
Now, over twenty years later do I wish I'd killed him? NO! I dont' ever want to kill anyone. But I also do not ever want to be at the mercy of some thug hyped up on crack.
Texas is very touchy about me showing my handgun, or having it obvious that I'm carrying. If your guy in AZ pulled the gun in an argument and his life wasn't threatened he deserved to be convicted. I had a gun pulled on me and it is a traumatic experience, and that's another reason I carry. I am a very good shot and know that most people couldn't hit a semi trailer with a handgun. The next guy who pulls a gun on me will not watch me grovel to have my life spared because I will fight back.
Thanks again for your input,
If you are in law enforcement are a judge, or whatever you are, you know I live in a dangerous world where thugs will kill me for less than $100.00 and laugh after they do it.
I guess the bottom line is that I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Thanks for your reply,
Matt
Matt & Virginia Kline

2008 17SD
2010 Ford 150 Lariat

#15 Bobinyelm

Bobinyelm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:34 AM

QUOTE (Matt @ May 10 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess the bottom line is that I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Thanks for your reply,
Matt

I'd like to think we still live in a place where a jury of our peers would understand that a person forced to retreat to the back of his tiny abode, with an attacker advancing on him with evil intent, is justified in using deadly force to protect himself or his loved ones.

If they cannot, it makes me question how they can see the justice in pre-emptively going half way around the planet to wage war on entire countries simply to prevent a possible attack years later, all based on qestionable information.

That would be hypocritical.

Unfortunately, however, juries are bound to follow specific jury instructions as framed by the judge*, and if you get a super-liberal, anti-gun judge, that jury will have little choice by to convict you, even if you shot the "bad guy" mere milli-seconds before he would have plunged a knife, or shot a bullet into your wife or your daughter, or into you. It's just the way our system works.

Most of the time it works OK, but maybe it really is better to beg for your life from a meth-crazed intruder than from a judge and jury.

If you lose, at least the intruder will likely make it a quick death.

Bob
*Both attorneys propose the instructions the jury is told to follow in their diliberations, and the judge gets to choose between them, and to add to them based upon his/her personal feelings. Juries CAN totally diregard those instructions, but most juries feel obligated to do what they are told by authority-they follow orders well-and there is little authority greater than a judge in his/her courtroom.

Edited by Bobinyelm, 11 May 2008 - 07:58 PM.