Newbie could use some help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tawny&Gary

Tawny&Gary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 341 posts
  • Local time: 07:44 PM
  • Interests:We love the desert, mountains, Nat'l & State parks and hiking in nature.

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

Hi guys ... we are trying to take our battery out for the first time, both for some repair electrical work and to check our water level for the first time since we got our Egg about two months ago. The problem is getting the sucker out! I expected a tight fit but we can only get it out about 3 inches or so and then the negative connector seems to be hung up behind the weather stripping for the door and we can't get it to budge. Any tips on how to get that bad boy out of there ??? I know ... once I do, I run down and buy an Optima battery! Thanks for any assistance you might be able to offer ... and to think I thought this would be the easiest of tasks. mad.gif

Gary & Tawny

Apache Junction, AZ

2008 17' SD ("B2") Formerly

2011 Heartland Prowler 5th wheel Currently

#2 Royce

Royce
  • Casita Club Member
  • 143 posts
  • Local time: 09:44 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

Gary,

While we wait for someone with the correct answer. This may help. When I slide the battery out I have to tip the front end up a little to get the back post past the top of the box. OK it is not a Casita but you may be having some of the same clearance problems. I would not be in a big hurry to replace the battery with a Gel, just yet unless it is at least 3 years old or has already failed. Flooded Lead Acid technology isn't dead just yet. smile.gif When the current battery begins to fail, and you need to replace anyway sure Gel batteries are a good choice.
Royce
www.spearfishcreek.net
KORKK
'77' Minuet 6 Metre

#3 Jim A

Jim A
  • Casita Club Member
  • 135 posts
  • Local time: 10:44 PM
  • Interests:Landscape Photography, Astronomy/Astrophotography

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

I have a 2007 SD and the battery is a tight fit in it also. I don't remember if I have to tilt the back up so the front terminal will clear the wx stripping or tilt the front up so the back will clear but it does come out with a bit of tilting and pulling. Not what I'd like but it does come out. First time was certainly more difficult than the following times but it does come out.
2007 Spirit Deluxe
"White Dwarf"
2012 Airstream, Flying Cloud (27ft)
2012 GMC Denali HD
San Angelo TX

#4 Tawny&Gary

Tawny&Gary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 341 posts
  • Interests:We love the desert, mountains, Nat'l & State parks and hiking in nature.

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (Jim A @ Apr 17 2008, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 2007 SD and the battery is a tight fit in it also. I don't remember if I have to tilt the back up so the front terminal will clear the wx stripping or tilt the front up so the back will clear but it does come out with a bit of tilting and pulling. Not what I'd like but it does come out. First time was certainly more difficult than the following times but it does come out.

Thanks guys, with the encouragement from your posts and some grunting and groaning, I finally got it out with all pieces surrounding the holding compartment intact. anim_rofl.gif It looks like my negative connection wing nut was turned at a very ackward angle and that will be corrected upon re-installation of the battery when I 'm finished. Ours was only 60 days old and was in need of distilled water so I would encourage any other "newbies" to keep an eye on that bad boy!

Gary & Tawny

Apache Junction, AZ

#5 redwards

redwards
  • Removed
  • 384 posts
  • Local time: 11:44 PM

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:55 PM

It has been mentioned before, but some think that some batteries come out of Casita in new trailers with low water levels. In any event, it is good advice to not assume that just because your trailer and battery are only weeks old, that the water level must be still OK.

Mine got so low as to ruin the battery. Fortunately, I was able to have it replaced under warranty and at no cost. I would never have thought (based on experience with automobiles and boats) that the water level could have gotten so critically low with such little original use.

BTW, I had no problem sliding my battery out of my 2008 FD, but maybe it WAS just a matter of a wing nut for you. I did, however, subsequently cut the cable tie that bundled my battery cables together, and that allowed me to lower my battery all the way to the ground, without need of a bucket or something to place it on while checking water level. The cables seem to easily be stuffed back in alongside the battery without the cable tie.

#6 Tawny&Gary

Tawny&Gary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (redwards @ Apr 17 2008, 05:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been mentioned before, but some think that some batteries come out of Casita in new trailers with low water levels. In any event, it is good advice to not assume that just because your trailer and battery are only weeks old, that the water level must be still OK.

Mine got so low as to ruin the battery. Fortunately, I was able to have it replaced under warranty and at no cost. I would never have thought (based on experience with automobiles and boats) that the water level could have gotten so critically low with such little original use.

BTW, I had no problem sliding my battery out of my 2008 FD, but maybe it WAS just a matter of a wing nut for you. I did, however, subsequently cut the cable tie that bundled my battery cables together, and that allowed me to lower my battery all the way to the ground, without need of a bucket or something to place it on while checking water level. The cables seem to easily be stuffed back in alongside the battery without the cable tie.

I had not heard that before. I hope that is what it is and nothing else. But the cables, while bundled, we re no problem and I was able to move them, easily out of the way. The wing nut was a toughie and I was worried I might damage the door stripping. I'm hoping the finish to the job goes better!

Gary

Gary & Tawny

Apache Junction, AZ

#7 Palmer M

Palmer M
  • Casita Club Member
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:living light / alternative energy<br />cars and mechanical<br />railways &amp; model trains<br />architecture &amp; real estate

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

The first time I checked the water level, a couple of months after purchase, it needed to be topped off. I thought it had consumed the water(electrolyte).
I kept checking every few months after that, and never had to put more than an ounce or so in. That would support redwards observations.
P
Palmer McCall
North Carolina
05 Casita 16 SD "micronaut"
96 Dodge Dakota 4x4 V6
full-timing since 09/04

#8 ArizonaEileen

ArizonaEileen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,902 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 SD 17
  • Casita Club Directory #:2258

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:26 AM

This seems to be on ongoing problem with new units.

I wrote to Casita some time ago to let them that this is occurring and needs to be on their
pre-flight checklist, but I never received a response. (On the other hand, I sent an email to Jay
the other day and got an immediate call-back from him)

All new buyers should insist that their water levels be checked before they leave the factory.

Eileen
07 17 SD "Casa de Suenos" | 09 Ford F150 XLT "White Night"
A-Z Casita Owners Guide / Store / Rallies: www.LoveMyCasita.com

Photos: Casita Travel Photo Albums

#9 Tawny&Gary

Tawny&Gary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (Palmer M @ Apr 17 2008, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The first time I checked the water level, a couple of months after purchase, it needed to be topped off. I thought it had consumed the water(electrolyte).
I kept checking every few months after that, and never had to put more than an ounce or so in. That would support redwards observations.
P

Palmer,

I really appreciate hearing that ... I was not looking forweard to tackling the battery removal problem again on such a regular basis. I bet I went through more than an ounce in each cell and I only filled them to the lower level of the tube. Hopefully, I'll have the same experience you did. Were I picking up another new Egg knowing what I know now, I would follow Eileen's advice and insist they pull it out and show me the water level was correct. Thanks for your input and Happy Trails.

Gary

Gary & Tawny

Apache Junction, AZ

#10 jwb

jwb
  • Casita Club Member
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

Re: Casita Battery

If you leave the Casita hooked up to shore power full time as I do turn off the Convertor circuit breaker
when you are not occupying the rig.
The Casita battery, unlike other rigs I have owned, will run the battery dry in about a month or less.
jwb

#11 Bill & Karen

Bill & Karen
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,688 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD Inneggsisle
  • Interests:kids and grand kids
    traveling,and camping
    auto museums and shows
  • Casita Club Directory #:1193

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:03 PM

Mine is a 99 and they didn't have the slide out trays like the new jobs so what I'm going to suggest may not work some. I have a battery that is 2 sizes above the original, (group 29) and in order to get it out I have to reach in and take the wing nuts off first then slide the battery out (Make sure your not plugged into 120V). Its still a pain but at least the wing nuts are gone. The wings nuts are usually higher than the studs when they are hooked up and they do get locked up with the edgw of the door

Bill & Karen Sarasota, Fl. Love being Inneggsile

#12 Tawny&Gary

Tawny&Gary
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 341 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (Bill & Karen @ Apr 23 2008, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine is a 99 and they didn't have the slide out trays like the new jobs so what I'm going to suggest may not work some. I have a battery that is 2 sizes above the original, (group 29) and in order to get it out I have to reach in and take the wing nuts off first then slide the battery out (Make sure your not plugged into 120V). Its still a pain but at least the wing nuts are gone. The wings nuts are usually higher than the studs when they are hooked up and they do get locked up with the edgw of the door

Bill,

Thanks for the idea on the wing nuts because that was the problem with getting mine out. One of the clamps had been attached somewhat crooked and the nut kept hanging up on the door. Those sliding trays must be "after market mods" because I don't recall that being an option when we bought our Egg a couple of months ago. Sure would be nice!

Gary

Gary & Tawny

Apache Junction, AZ

#13 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,821 posts
  • Local time: 08:44 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, musea, traditional jazz music, piano, full timer.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

I find that using an upside down milk crate (usually available at flea markets for $2.- or so) to set the battery on makes it easier than setting it all the way to the ground. Later, the milk crate makes a good work stool, and one can store stuff in it when on the road. FWIW.

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !