• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tomsrig

tomsrig
  • Casita Club Member
  • 252 posts
  • Local time: 10:35 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 SD
  • Interests:My wife, Joan loves to quilt and do Geneology, and I am a Ham Radio Operator - AB5ZJ. We both Love the Lord and do our best to follow him.

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

Hi,all,
Joan is going to make new curtains for our Casita. I've tried searching the archives on the subject but have not got the hang of the search function there.

So, if you don't mind me asking again. How have you all who've made curtains been hanging them? What mechanism did you find worked well.

Tom and Joan
Tom and Joan
TV: 2007 Tundra pulling a 2008 17SD
Ham Radio Call sign for Tom - AB5ZJ

#2 swtgran

swtgran
  • Casita Club Member
  • 411 posts
  • Local time: 08:35 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

I bought Cafe rods at Target that match the latches on the cupboards. I put my curtains on them that I made from one King size sheet that matches our bedding on our full time bed. I took those plastic wire ties and threaded them around the back of the top of the mini blind edges and around the curtain rods,near the ends close to the end pieces. I located the ties as close to the ends as possibe, of the mini blinds and pulled the tie snuggly, securing the rod to mini blind top, and cut off the excess. So far they have not budged. When you push the curtain edges over the wire ties you don't even notice they are there.

I also made a dust cover for space under the bed using opened pillow cases and then using a thin cafe rod that is just wedged under the mattress.

#3 brain

brain
  • Casita Club Member
  • 619 posts
  • Local time: 09:35 AM

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

Tom and Joan,

I bought cafe rods at Loews that came with brackets. I adapted the brackets to fit on the Casita mini blind valance space. Basically just bent the bottom tab upward. Drilled pilot holes in the mini blind and used very small self tapping screws to hold them in place. That's it. The cafe rods fit snugly in the brackets and have yet to come loose. My wife made some nice looking curtains and we were done.

#4 Patrick M.

Patrick M.
  • Casita Club Member
  • 571 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17' 2007

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:07 AM

I used stick-on, removable 3M hooks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Curtains_1.JPG
  • Curtains_4.JPG

• SKYTALKER, sandyb12, funstuff and 4 others like this
Pat and Marilyn
2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe (Sold June 2011) & Honda Odyssey
Don't anthropomorphize your trailer - it doesn't like it.

#5 Larry & Debbie Gamble

Larry & Debbie Gamble
  • After-Market Product Supplier
  • 669 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:96 17SD

Posted 03 March 2008 - 09:28 AM

Tom & Joan,
You may be aware that for several years Casitas were equiped from the factory with curtains. The mounting system was simple and functional. Here is a link to a thread discussing the the track system which is available from sailrite.com and many rv parts stores.

http://www.casitaclu...amp;hl=sailrite

Just another option to consider.

Larry
Larry & Debbie Gamble
Original owners 96 17 SD
The Honeymoon Cottage

www.LittleHouseCustoms.com

#6 cajun

cajun
  • Casita Club Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

our rods are 1/2" cpvc tubing(lowe's 2.48/10ft). use tubing caps on the ends. to hang we used adhesive-backed wiretie bases(lowe's electrical dept 2.24 for a bag of five). attach rods with 4" nylon cable ties.
my wife sewed simple pockets at top and bottom of curtain fabric for the rods. experiment to find the correct length for each window size. they are not all the same.
to stabilize the bottom rod, we attached(safety pin) a short piece of ribbon to the backside of the curtain. the ribbon is then tied to the elastic loops that secure the bottom of the blinds. we are leaving the blinds up for extra insulation and darkening.
hope the pictures come out.

Attached Thumbnails

• camper_curtains_005.jpg
  • camper_curtains_002.jpg

• Ceenie likes this
2008 17' SD
1998 F150 V8
Retired
One cat named UG(short for ugly)
Carencro, Louisiana

#7 tomsrig

tomsrig
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 252 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 SD
  • Interests:My wife, Joan loves to quilt and do Geneology, and I am a Ham Radio Operator - AB5ZJ. We both Love the Lord and do our best to follow him.

Posted 03 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

Thank you all for replying. Lots of good ideas here. Thanks to you all, we now have a better idea of what to do.

Maybe we can get this done before we leave for BlueBonnet. Hope to see you guys there !

Tom and Joan
Tom and Joan
TV: 2007 Tundra pulling a 2008 17SD
Ham Radio Call sign for Tom - AB5ZJ

#8 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 378 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:54 AM

I used the same wire ties that kalley used but I passed them between the carpet and the upper cabinets. then put a beveled faucet washer on them before closing the tie off to keep them from pulling back out of the cabinet. By hanging them up close to the top i found that it hid the view of the top of the mini blind.
I used the same system to hang my closet pockets i just posted a picture of.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0254__2_.JPG

Edited by The Goose Egg, 06 March 2008 - 08:59 AM.

Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos

#9 swtgran

swtgran
  • Casita Club Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:27 PM

If you make a pocket for your curtain to slide on with material above the rod pocket, you cannot see the top of the mini blinds. You can make that part above the pocket whatever height you want it, just as long as it doesn't flop over. I made mine a little over an inch.

In other words, I have 2 seams instead of one with a little header above the rod pocket so no window or blind shows.

#10 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:50 PM

Kalley,
That's the way i made mine too, but I had the flop over problem, because i used medium weight blue jean material. I'm working on covering my dinet cushins with the same material and I wanted the curtains to match. I was also thinking about making some roman shades made out of the same material and I was thinking if it works out, I will need the extra space above the window for the folds of material to gather up.
Do you have any experience making roman shades? I've never made any before but i picked up some free instructions at walmart and found some on hgtv web site that look like it wouldn't be too hard to make.
I would like to replace the metal blinds like others have done, because of the noise problem.
angie

#11 swtgran

swtgran
  • Casita Club Member
  • 411 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:37 PM

I have not made Roman shades but there is someone on either this or the other forum that has made them and I think may have sold them.

Someone that does a lot of sewing is RX. She is always redecorating things. She would probably be able to answer any of your questions.

By the way, I like your shoe pocket storage. I am going to have to give that some real serious consideration. I have drawers up on a platform, (so we have access to to the area on the floor) and there is just enough space, over the pipes, to squeeze that into the closet. Thanks for the idea. Every little bit of storage helps. Besides, it was bugging me to think I had a few inches of wasted space.

#12 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

thanks for the info, I will try to do a search for the shades.
My husband may want me to keep the mini blind by the table, He says he likes to turn the slats at a angle that blocks the direct sunlight , but allows some privacy and still be able to see outside.
The problem with noise comes from the blinds over our pillows, we tend to bump them when we turn over at night. So I don't know if I want the mix matched combination of 3 roaman shades in the back of our spirit and one old metal blind at the table.
Oh, yeah and I really like the idea you had to hang your dust ruffel on the cafe rod, I was trying to figure out how i was going to keep mine ( which i havn't made yet) from shifting around.
angie

Edited by The Goose Egg, 06 March 2008 - 05:55 PM.

• funstuff likes this