Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Weatherstripping/door gap, Hello again! Upon tightening the door hardware, I ...
Marty & Dean in MI. 16' SD, #111
Posted: May 12 2002, 05:27 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Hello again! Upon tightening the door hardware, I noticed that the door has a major gap in the latch side, see-right-thru'-it opening. The weatherstripping must be aftermarket, it's HUGE and ruptures out of the latch side of the door upon closing. Very messy, very inefficient. We are thinking of ripping it off, cleaning the face up and trying a new bit of stripping. Looked under search and read up on Gregory's problems but thought I'd seek out any newfound guidance before ripping her up further...

Thank you so much for all the help!

Marty

ALORI
Posted: May 12 2002, 06:14 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I have seen three different styles of door used on these.

1. Curved door solid fiberglass (same as the rest of the egg) that follow the wall curve with a vinal trim and gasket.

2. A flat door with rounded top corners.

3. A flat door with square top corners.

I currently have a 1986 16 not Delux(without bathroom). This has the curved door. One of the problems I'm working on is trying to get the door to snug up to the floor. The best that I've gotten is to have the door just touch the floor and the worst is a 2 inch gap across the bottom. Ideally I'd like to be able to compress the gasket for a better seal.

Sooo...What year is yours? and What type of door do you have?

AL

Glen & Rita aka Casita 17 & WB W
Posted: May 12 2002, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

All 13' and 16' Casitas and all models of Scamp Trailers use the curved fiberglass door.

Over time ( years ) the door tries to flatten out leaving gaps at the top and bottom. So the best fix would be to buy a new door.

The 17' Casita's use a flat RV Door with a screen door inside.

Up until 2000 the the doors had a raw aluminum trin with square top corners.

Beginning mid year 2000 Casita changed to a black trimed door with rounded to corners.

Now you know 'The rest of the story' .

Casita 17

Casita Club Calendar

Posted: May 12 2002, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Gad ! This dang keyboard is at it again....changing and leaving out letters, or is it just me?

By the way the Flat RV door will NOT fit the 13' and 16' trailers.

Casita 17

Casita Club Calendar

Don Willis
Posted: May 12 2002, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Marty & Dean:

Here's a sketch of the weatherstrip in my 2000 16' Casita. I have a gap at the bottom that you could drop a screwdriver thru. Hope you find an answer.

The U portion is a metal channel that grips the door. The weatherstrip portion is hollow.

Attached Image
Attached Image

John
Posted: May 12 2002, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

We had Sunshine coming in through our Door Gaps.Casita took 2 Days to fix it by adding Fibreglass to meet the Seals.Was not a good Idea,we had Fibreglass Dust on everything for the Remainder of our Vacation.My Suggestion: build up the Area yourself with Silicone on the Frame until it meets the Door Seal.To make it fit put Paper between the Door Seal and Silicone while it is setting and drying.Good Luck

Augie Burgoon
Posted: May 12 2002, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I have a 16' and the curved door. I can't tell from the messages posted here whether the original question concerned a curved door or a square door.

My door was loose on the bottom and I found that if the door is too tight in one area (or not tight enough) it will cause the door to flex and be loose (or too tight) in another.

In my case, by adjusting the door latch, I was able to even out the stresses to where the door has a seal all around. The curved door is flexible and if you grab the bottom and pull, it will come away from making a seal.

The door fits lightly all around. If it fits too tight in one place, it will be too loose somewhere else. The only adjustments are the two hinges and the latch.

Mine is a 1999 16' FD. I hope your door is as easy to fix as mine was.

Augie

My Web Site

Posted: May 13 2002, 07:41 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Well, Al, we have a 16' SD from 1984 and it has a curved door with rounded corners... I am thinking that playing with the hinges could work. Removing this big, overdone weatherstripping probably couldn't hurt either, go with something more uniform after taking it off and checking the fit, tweaking it and trying it again. Good point on the fiberglass dust, John. Nope, Don, our weatherstripping is not even close to what you have. Well, it's hollow but it runs all 'round the inside of the door... Awww, Glen, couldn't ye' come up with a cheaper fix than that?!? *teasing grin*

Augie, did you put a new latch on? Our plate (on the door frame) is a bit worn... perhaps I should think on moving that? Though that would entail popping rivets and new rivets.. but I DO have a rivet gun and I'm not terribly afraid to use it. *wink* I'll start practicing soon Charles!

Be well all! Marty

Posted: May 13 2002, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

It's about a long term fix.

Replace the door if its over 10 years old.

Until then try as you mite to keep it sealed. :-)

Glen

Casita Club Calendar

Pete Dumbleton
Posted: May 13 2002, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

So far, my curved door has stayed curved. Were it to flatten,before I bought a new door I'd try cutting some plywood frames or braces, cut to the curve I wanted and screwing them down tightly on the inside with long screws (or bolts with nuts countersunk into the plywood). Two or maybe three on each end; maybe even make some kind of shelf out of them.

Pete

Augie Burgoon
Posted: May 13 2002, 06:00 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I didn't put on a new latch. The one I have is on with screws and all it needed was tightning. Mine, like most I guess, has a notch worn in it where it contacts the strike plate and rubs as the trailer flexes. I am not going to worry about it as long as it works fine and the door seals.

Augie

My Web Site

Charles Watts
Posted: May 14 2002, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Marty ... purchase the official Casita gasket for the year of your trailer, if it's still available ... then take your Casita to a good auto body shop ... one that does fiberglass work on Corvettes. Have them "true" the curve of the Casita to the curve of the door.

In fact, if you guys have the patience, do it yourself with some fiberglass resin and screening available at any auto parts store. Take your time, build it up layer by layer until you get a tight fit for the new door gasket

Official 2002 National Casita Rally Trinkets

Richard D.
Posted: May 14 2002, 04:44 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Here's an idea. It's ONLY an idea. I haven't tried it, but seems to me that it might help.

If the curved fiberglass door tends to "flatten out" over time, what about taking one of those ratcheting tie-down straps - the ones with the nylon web straps and vinyl-covered hooks on each end - and hook it over the top center and bottom center of the OPEN door, then crank in enough tension to "true the curve" - plus a little - and let it "set" for a few hours?

The only "down-side" I can think of is that it might be better to have a couple of lengths of wood - or metal - to protect the edges of the fiberglass door and 'spread' the tension across the full width of the top and bottom edges.

Like I said, I haven't tried this. It's just a "blue-sky idea" which seems to me would work - given enough time under tension.

rmd

17FD TX-1066

Posted: May 14 2002, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

But do it for a week during 100 degree weather and it might just do the trick.

Just add a little more tension each day.

Casita 17

Casita Club Calendar

Posted: May 15 2002, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Oh sure Glen! *teasing grin* How about we try it out on yours first? I can just see pulling up at some Casita gathering, the only Casitan without a door... Me; "Oh, it's all the rage in Paris, didn't you know?!" I don't think so... Or how about this: Marty and Dean arrive with the only barn door Casita... Instead of the VW side to side barn door, the Casita Barn Door version would be top and bottom. Or would that be a dutch door?? *ponders*

It seems to have a fine curve, the gap is at the latch area/side. I'll try pulling the weatherstripping when I have something to replace it and I am sure it's not going to rain for a couple days! No promise there as we've had some rain every day for a week now...

Hmmm, I will go out and play a bit more with it in a couple of days now that the flooring is dried out nicely and I have just enough time to do a wee bit more tweaking in it before we leave for PA on Memorial day weekend!

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.1209 ]   [ 10 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]