Powered by Invision Power Board

Reply to this topicStart new topic

> Casita vs. Scamp vs. Burro, OK, I know this could inspire some heated discours...
Barnacle Bill
Posted: Apr 24 2001, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

OK, I know this could inspire some heated discourse...

We're looking at each of these three "egg" trailers. Each one seems to have devoted owners, so I'm satisfied that none is awful, but I am curious what the main differences are, if any. If you bought one after considering either of the others, why did you do so?

cate borzi
Posted: Apr 24 2001, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

There is a Burro owners' site at Yahoo clubs who are literally very unhappy campers. There are pending lawsuits for mismanagement. They appear to have developed a bad habit of taking deposits without producing trailers. Also, the insulation between the two fiberglass shells has been known to settle...leaving nothing in the roof. That's why Scamp and Casita have carpet insulation.

Scamp may be okay for service, but those bathrooms are too, too small. The spacial use and storage are not as well engineered as the Casita. I don't think they even have a 17' or see the need for one. (The Scamp fifth wheel looks like a deformed egg to me.)

Big Foot (Canadian) is also second best to Casita for engineering. If your black and grey tanks were full, you could not refill fresh water first without going over your weight limit. They leave nothing in the way of room for the weight of your gear or options.

Casita makes the best egg out there. Everyone sings their praise for service. They are frequently compared to Saturn in their approach to customers.

Every manufacturing process will come out with the occasional lemon. The only lemon-owners I know of were still happy with Casita: they were given a choice between a new trailer, their money back or "whatever it takes to make them happy."

It just doesn't get better than Casita.

cate borzi
Posted: Apr 24 2001, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

There is a Burro owners' site at Yahoo clubs who are literally very unhappy campers. There are pending lawsuits for mismanagement. They appear to have developed a bad habit of taking deposits without producing trailers. Also, the insulation between the two fiberglass shells has been known to settle...leaving nothing in the roof. That's why Scamp and Casita have carpet insulation.

Scamp may be okay for service, but those bathrooms are too, too small. The spacial use and storage are not as well engineered as the Casita. I don't think they even have a 17' or see the need for one. (The Scamp fifth wheel looks like a deformed egg to me.)

Big Foot (Canadian) is also second best to Casita for engineering. If your black and grey tanks were full, you could not refill fresh water first without going over your weight limit. They leave nothing in the way of room for the weight of your gear or options.

Casita makes the best egg out there. Everyone sings their praise for service. They are frequently compared to Saturn in their approach to customers.

Every manufacturing process will come out with the occasional lemon. The only lemon-owners I know of were still happy with Casita: they were given a choice between a new trailer, their money back or "whatever it takes to make them happy."

It just doesn't get better than Casita.

Nathan
Posted: Apr 24 2001, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Casita is great for their customer service. I haven't had mine long enough to talk about durability etc. (though it seems to be very well made) but:

I ordered mine last fall

I have peppered them with questions repeatedly so I could plan for what I was going to do with the trailer as soon as I got it

They quoted me a price for delivery which they didn't raise despite the rise in fuel prices

They have produced a trailer that is incredibly well laid out inside

All the appliances etc. are definately name brands and seem well made

They seem to always incorporate new and better ideas into things. For example, there is a powered vent in the bathroom of my trailer. Nowhere is that mentioned in any literature I have seen on them, yet it is there.

There are other little touches: The door window is frosted glass. I had wondered how you avoided showing yourself to the world in the algtogether after you took a shower! Now I know.

Everything I have seen about the Casita seems to say that lots of good hard thinking went into it.

Nathan

Charles Watts
Posted: Apr 25 2001, 05:09 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

The difference between Scamp and Casita can be summed up by how the two companies started.

Two brothers started Scamp. The brothers soon got into an argument and split up. They argued over quality and cost and construction methods.

One brother wanted to build a "solid" fiberglass egg, kinda like the little plastic Easter eggs. He figured a solid fiberglass bottom would offer better protection from the elements, such as salt and rocks. Plus, it would last longer than the typical industry-standard of resin-coated plywood floor. He moved to Texas and started Casita, which was later sold. The current owner, in my opinion, even sets higher standards for quality and customer satisfaction.

The other brother thought building a total fiberglass egg was costly and unnecessary, and wanted to continue building a fiberglass "shell" attached to resin-coated plywood. The is the Scamp brother.

Since I'm in the midwest, I firmly believe in the "total" fiberglass egg concept, since I'm always flying down muddy, rock strewn roads ... and through a typical winter blend of road salt and snow.

I've been ridiculed for doing it, but I, every so often, will wash and wax the bottom of my Casita. Why? Because I can.

Casita Positive thread

Barnacle Bill
Posted: Apr 27 2001, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

OK, I just got off the phone with Curtis from Casita sales, and I confess I am falling under ths spell. I had sent Curtis no less than 15 questions about Casitas, and he was kind enough to call and answer them all in great detail. Where he didn't have an answer he promised to get back to me. What a huge change from negligently uninformed RV dealers.

To concisely answer my own question, and to expand on the post above, the difference between Casitas and Scamps is that Casita seems to be actively invested in the good design of their units. They are constantly updating them. I am very pleased, for instance, that they switched from square-cornered doors to radiused (curved) doors in the 2001 model. Square-cornered doors tend to attract water build up and are more likely to fail. Every detail of the Casita seems to be obsessively well thought-through. And since I am an obsessive kind of guy, thats something I can really appreciate.

I am instantly jealous of all Casita owners, and looking forward to the moment our current trailer sells so that we can place our order! Anyone want to buy a 27' SunnyBrook fifth wheel?

Barnacle Bill
Posted: Jun 4 2001, 03:58 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

For those of you interested in following my saga...

It looks like we've sold our fifth-wheel, so we're now actively shopping for a replacement.

Despite never having seen one in person, the Casita continues to be our first choice. Yesterday we looked at a BigFoot, which makes a 17' fiberglass-shelled travel trailer, a good competitor to the Casita. It's a very well-built unit with much to like, including a full oven. But Casita wins out on the details.

1. The 17' Casita has a much larger bed - 54" x 77" versus about 48" x 70" in the BigFoot. Those few inches make a big difference, especially since we have a baby sleeping with us! And we have the option of getting a Liberty Deluxe, so our bedding could be truly spacious. 2. The BigFoot wastes space on a larger shower. A shower is one of those things we just don't need, they're always available in campgrounds, so I'm not willing to spend the space on it. 3. The BigFoot has the fridge on the non-awning side - that means on hot days the fridge has to work extra hard, instead of relaxing under the shade of the awning.

These are important details. The BigFoot also weighs in about 500 pounds heavier, a foot and a half wider, and about 8 inches taller. And since towability is a concern, size does matter. On the less important front, the BigFoot fridge is 2-way instead of 3-way.

Next step is seeing some Casita referrals in the area. We are cautiously optimistic, but still concerned that a 17' trailer is just going to be too small after living in a 27' 5th wheel w/slideout... adjusting expectations now.

mike
Posted: Jun 4 2001, 04:47 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Hey Bill if next time you are camping in your new Casita you hear someone singing in a very large shower (comfortably) then yelling "HOW COME THE BEER IS WARM???!!!" you'll know I'm there somewhere. C'mon over and say hi. BTW we managed to get one of the last 3/way fridges. Why did they change to just 2/way? I believe the DC mode was considered a nuisance to those who unintentionally left the unit on while parked and tow vehicle engine off. Like I did on the ferry to Vancouver Island one year. Our Dometic has an "automode" mode that will seek out the source AC/DC/GAS but that requires leaving the gas on while traveling, which I don't like to do. Otherwise no fridge problems to report, even in 104F weather.

Sadly, I must remain the only Big Foot interloper here..:-(

Happy trails in your new rig. Mike

Note: There was mention in this thread of BF's not having enough water/wieght capacity if grey and black water are full and you still wanted to add more fresh. Question: where in the heck would you put that extra fresh water once it turns grey or black?

Quick story: Our first ever night out in our new BF and our family has been drilled on what to do if they smell propane. Our grey water was full earlier that day 'cause we were trying out all the goodies on this maiden voyage and I had topped up the fresh again before dumping the grey to try out the shower. I'm standing in 3 inches of water wondering why it's not draining..duh..and my youngest inadvertently turned on the stove top without igniting the gas ( hey even they gotta try everything out for the first time). The second youngest started yelling I smell gas!!! Well, you know the drill: Everyone exit, do not turn on lights or spark a fire. There I was in a towel standing outside in the dark. I finally found the source of the gas and we waited outside for a good 30 - brrrrrrrrrrrrr- minutes to let the gas dissipate. Good news is we know the drill and it could save our lives one day!

Mary J. Foster
Posted: Jun 4 2001, 04:54 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

To my way of perceiving things, one advantage to Casita's Liberty floorplan is that it "opens up" the smallness of the interior. Before we ordered a new 17 footer, we visited the factory (again), and looked long and seriously at the Spirit. (We figured, and rightly so, that the extra width of the bed in the 17 footers would mean we'd no longer really NEED the king bed option of the Liberty). We stayed with the Liberty (our old sixteen footer was also a Liberty), though, because having the seats adjacent to the bed, instead of along one side- across from the galley, just seemed to make the Casita interior less crowded.

Now I know plenty will disagree, and I admit it would be nice to have the Spirit's side dinette (with its extra little table set up and ready to use all of the time; or in your case to use as your child's bed, especially when s/he's no longer a baby).

Either way you go, you're going to feel somewhat CONFINED, after having a 27' fifth wheel - I am amazed whenever I step inside my parents' 26 footer... but I wouldn't want the hassle of towing/setting up that monster (and 26' isn't even as big a monster as most!) But you'll adjust - just remember to spend as much time as possible outdoors, which is why we go camping in the first place... and don't be deterred by your first outing in the small trailer. It takes some planning and adjustment. Just revel in your better gas mileage, ability to go places you couldn't with the larger rig, and also with the simplicity of the set up. (Then, don't be too frustrated that your holding tanks aren't any larger....)

Have fun with your quest. Mary F. (Jonestown, Tx)

mike
Posted: Jun 4 2001, 06:09 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

... and don't be deterred by your first outing in the small trailer. It takes some planning and adjustment. Just revel in your better gas mileage, ability to go places you couldn't with the larger rig, and also with the simplicity of the set up. (Then, don't be too frustrated that your holding tanks aren't any larger....)

Have fun with your quest. Mary F. (Jonestown, Tx)

Well put Mary. A point I had overlooked is that very often holding tanks on larger units are no bigger and I've always wondered why? Thanks for bringing that up. Mike

Barnacle Bill
Posted: Jun 10 2001, 03:50 PM
Quote Post

Unregistered

We looked at a 17' Spirit Deluxe today, and had a little trouble visualizing the Liberty layout. I'd appreciate it if someone with a 17' Liberty could answer these questions:

1. How is the space apportioned on the port side of the Casita? On the spirit the range/sink are about 29" wide. That makes me think the second dinette (the smaller one, in the middle of the trailer) is 29" wide. But what happens to the rest of the space on the port side? Is thr sink/range combo wider than 29"? Extra counter space?

2. The fridge door on the Spirit opens up towards the front of the trailer. That's convenient since the range/sink is on the other side, allowing one to cook and reach for ingredients. Do they reverse the fridge door mounting on the Liberty so that it opens to the rear of the trailer, similarly allowing one to cook and reach for ingredients?

We're sold on the Casita, but we're really torn between the Spirit and Liberty. I can see advantages to both. Thanks for your help in advance!

Nathan
Posted: Jun 11 2001, 12:08 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

I just recently got a Liberty too, and was pleasantly surprised with it.

Yes, the galley *is* a little larger on the Liberty than the Spirit. I like it better. The range is oriented so the burners are side by side and not front to back, and there is a little more space between the sink and the range.

The frig door is on the same size in my liberty as in the spirit I saw, but it is reversible by the owner, I think. So that's simple enough to fix yourself. Or when you order it, ask Casita if they can do it if you don't feel comfortable.

We've been tinkering with our Liberty - we ordered a set of small dinette cushions from the spirit - the small dinette is 6 inches narrower in the spirit then in the liberty - and are altering a queen size futon mattress to go into the bed space. This will mean that we can always leave a queen size bed set up, have a slightly narrower small dinette, and have a softer mattress. All good things as far as I am concerned.

We've also installed a convection microwave above the frig but I need to do a little more for getting better ventilation - next thing I'm going to take out the vent covers for that space above the frig for more air flow. It should be okay even as it is, but I don't want all that heat around the frig. (We've already baked in the camper).

I really, really like the Casita. Their quality of workmanship is pretty phenomenal. Are there a few things here or there I scratch my head on? Sure, but mostly it is design choices that are different then ones I would make, not poor quality.

Nathan

Carol Christensen
Posted: Jun 11 2001, 05:10 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

We have the Liberty too. We chose that model for the king size bed option. But another thing I like is how bright and open it is. The sink/stovetop/fridge are at the front, so the large side windows plus rear window really open it up.

One thing you might consider though is that the small dinette table in the Liberty restricts access to the bed area. With the baby, having the side dinette of the Spirit might work better for you.

Carol

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topic

[ Script Execution time: 0.0823 ]   [ 10 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]